Information for authors
The guidelines for authors to prepare and submit scientific papers for publication
The documents submitted by authors to the Editorial Board
To submit your scientific paper you should provide the following.
1. An author’s application to the editorship (an application form can be downloaded at http://engjournal.ru/uploaded/avt-engj.pdf) asking for accepting the paper for publication. The authors are kindly asked to familiarize themselves with the Journal’s sections and point out the one they want their papers to be included. It is possible to point out several sections, but the final decision is made by the editorial board.
2. A submission letter from the organization where the research was carried out (only for the authors who do not work at BMSTU), or an extract from the protocol of the department meeting / educational and scientific complex meeting (only for BMSTU staff members). The submission letter should be typed on the official blank form of the organization. It should contain all contact details, including an office number.
3. An expert report on the permission for disclosing the paper contents to the press.
4. The paper manuscript in the form of a single file in the WinWord format, containing all required elements. The file should be named as follows: "Last name, First name, Patronymic name of Author1-Last name, First name, Patronymic name of Author2-Last name, First name, Patronymic name of Author3.doc (or docx)."
5. Files with the authors’ photos (the minimum size of 100x200 points (300dpi), in the JPG, PNG, TIFF formats), as well as figures for the paper. Each figure should be submitted as a single file in the graphics format (names – fig1, fig2, etc.). The WinWord format with figures incorporated into the text is not allowed. Other files containing any parts of the paper will not be accepted.
The electronic forms of the manuscripts in MS Word, figures in the graphics format and the required documents in the form of a scanned copy or PDF file can be submitted:
- by e-mail to the executive editor (contact details).
The editors kindly ask the authors (particularly those who are not from Moscow) to use the actual, up-to-date, and regularly reviewed email addresses. The terms of publishing may be extended, if the authors are difficult to connect with. The author may provide hisher Skype address as an alternative means of communication.
The editors strongly recommend the authors to use email addresses of their organizations’ email service providers. The authors are not advised to use such free public domains as mail.ru, google.com, etc. This requirement is important for calculating science citation indices, which are associated with the organizations the authors work for.
All correspondence with the editors or the executive editor should be carried on via email or Skype.
After receiving the manuscript and other supporting materials, duly completed according to the predefined criteria requested by the Journal Editorial Board, the manuscript is to be sent for peer-reviewing.
If a peer review is positive, the editors inform the authors about accepting the paper for publication, then handing it over to editorial-and-publishing preparation. All reviewers’ and editors’ comments to be considered are also sent to the authors.
If the paper publication is rejected, the Editorial Board sends a motivated refusal.
Rules for the text design
The manuscript of the paper submitted for publication in the Journal, is to meet the following requirements.
1. The text should be typed in the WinWord format (use Microsoft Office Word, Times New Roman font). PDF and TeX formats are not accepted. Use standard margins: left 3 sm, right, upper and bottom per 2 sm each.
2. The text length (including artwork and illustrations, figure captions, tables, references) is normally less than one signature (40 000 printed characters or 24 typewritten pages and 8 figures). Tables should not occupy more than 20 % of the whole text length. An advised number of authors is 5-6 with the exceptions for the papers presenting the results of large-scale research. The text length of a review article can exceed one signature, but a reference list should include over 30 items.
3. In case the same authors submit two or more papers for publication, they are asked to indicate the order of their publication.
4. The papers to be published in the Journal include the following successively organized items (Note! The succession should be strictly observed in the manuscript):
- index of the Universal Decimal Classification (UDC);
- full title of the paper (in the Russian language);
- initials and names of the authors (in the Russian language);
- names of organizations where each author works (in the Russian language);
- e-mail of each author;
- abstract (in the Russian language);
- keywords (in the Russian language);
- the paper text itself (in the Russian language);
- references (in the Russian language);
- author credentials (in the Russian language);
- full title of the paper (in the English language);
- initials and names of the authors (in the English language);
- names of organizations where each author works (in the English language);
- e-mail of each author;
- abstract (in the English language);
- keywords (in the English language);
- the paper text itself (in the English language), if it is available;
- references (in the English language);
- author credentials (in the English language).
You may look through any paper published in Engineering Journal: Science and Innovations in 2018 and use it as a sample.
5. Requirements for preparing the paper text.
While typing the manuscript the authors are asked not to use tabulation, hard returns, and unnecessary spacebars. Each part of the paper should be separated from each other by one extra interline.
Use standard margines: the left one is 3 cm, the upper, bottom and right per 2 cm.
The paper text should be prepared according to the following requirements.
5.1. UDC identifier is located in the top-left corner. Font size is 14 pt., left-alignment.
5.2. The paper title is typed in a semibold type with a size of 18 pt. The title should be clear, descriptive and not too long. It should not include several sentences, mathematical expressions, chemical formulas, alphabetic letters different from the Russian or Latin ones, and abbreviations except for those that are in common use.
5.3. The authors’ last names and initials are typed in a regular type with a size of 14 pt., they are separated by commas. A copyright sign is placed before the first author’s initials. A reference mark (number) is put after each author’s last name. The reference mark indicates the place of hisher employment.
5.4. The reference mark is typed in a regular type with a size of 12 pt. It includes the full name of an organization, its postal address, postcode, and country. Notice, please, this information should coincide with the one posted on the official website of an organization.
The title, authors’ names, and names of organizations are separated by interlines. They should be center aligned.
The following example illustrates the arrangement of the paper headings.
Propulsion dynamics of the forty-first leg of a centipede
© Zh.Zh. Zhuk 1, P.P. Pchelkin 2, G.G. Gusenitsin 3
1 Innovation center "Zhuzhzhalkovo", vil. Zhuzhzhalkovo, 121121, Russian Federation
2 LLC " Ulei ", settl. Lesnoe, 131131, Russian Federation
3 Research Institute for Tracklaying Vehicles, Moscow, 125005, Russian Federation
5.5. An abstract is a short description of the paper contents. It presents the subject matter of research and its main results. A font style is italics; a font size is 14 pt.; full-page justification. For more detailed information, see http://engjournal.ru/uploaded/recc.pdf.
5.6. Keywords (maximum 10 words). A font style is italics; a font size is 14 pt.; left justified alignment; keywords separation symbol is a comma. Keywords are a list of index terms that capture the essence of the paper contents and are used to aid discovery of your paper online. They are not theses or word combinations.
5.7. The paper structure should include:
- a brief review of the issue under consideration and the problem statement (introduction). In this section, give a clear formulation of the paper aim;
- materials and methods used to solve the problem and study assumptions;
- basic contents of the paper (for example, a description of physical entities, processes, and phenomena, proofs of the presented propositions, initial and final mathematical expressions, experiments and calculation, examples and illustrations);
- discussion of the obtained results and their comparison with the ones previously published;
- conclusions and recommendations.
Please, name each structural section of the paper (e.g. Introduction, Methods, Discussion ... Conclusions).
A font size is 14 pt.; an interline interval is double; a paragraph indention is 1 sm.; full-page justification.
All notation conventions and abbreviations used in the paper should be defined the first time they are introduced in the text.
The measurement units applied in the paper should be commonly used and included into the International System of Units (SI). The measurement units permitted for use along with SI units as well as multiple and fractional units can also be used in the paper.
Titles of the paper sections are typed in a semibold type with a size of 14 pt. at the beginning of a paragraph. They are separated from the text by a full point.
All equations should be typed in MathType 6.х with center alignment. Numbers of equations are placed in parentheses on the right-hand side. Equations presented in the forms of artwork or a set of symbols with embedment elements in MathType are not acceptable.
Tables should be incorporated into the text within the page margins. If a table is too long and occupies more than one page, the table heading should be duplicated at the top of the next page(s). The table title is center aligned; its number is placed on the left-hand side. Tables are numbered in the order of their first citation in the text. The data presented in the forms of graphs and diagrams should not be duplicated in tables.
Illustrations (figures, diagrams, graphs, pictures) should be logically incorporated in the text within the page margins. They are numbered in the order of their first citation in the text. Illustrations should be comprehensible; drawing annotations should correspond to the text. It is recommended to use only JPEG, PNG, TIFF formats for figures and electronic artwork; each of them should be cited in the text at least once.
Scanned pictures should have a resolution of 300 dpi and higher.
Each illustration should have a caption. Captions must be comprehensible enough for the given information to be understood without reading the whole text (if this information has not been given in the previous figure). Abbreviations are explained in figure captions, if they are not explained in the text.
5.8. The list of references should be numbered in the order in which they are mentioned in the text. Each source cited in the paper is given a number the first time it appears in the text. The in-text reference number is placed in square brackets in the corresponding line. At the end of the paper, a list of references provides full publication information for each numbered source. It is organized according to the regulations determined by the Editorial Board, which allow for both simplification of searching for articles in bibliographic databases and accuracy of calculating authors’ scientometrical indices and the journal impact factor. For more detailed information and examples, see http://engjournal.ru/uploaded/bibl.pdf.
Names of all authors as well as full titles of books, articles, and other documents, first published in any foreign language, should be typed in the original transcription. The list of references should include only published materials or those that are in common use. A font size is 14 pt.; full-page justification. If a reference is URL or DOI, the author should check its spelling accuracy and resource availability. It is not allowed to refer to large sites without mentioning the certain reference (for example, it is useless to refer to Wikipedia in the following way: http://ru.wikipedia.org).
5.9. Author identification should be given in both the Russian and English languages. It includes the following information about each author:
- last name, first name, patronymic name (in full form);
- year of birth (optional);
- educational background (optional);
- academic degree;
- place of employment;
- academic status (academician, corresponding member – if there is one) in the State Academy of Sciences;
- honorary degrees and insignias (optional);
- field of research and scientific interests;
- contact information for communication with the author (e-mail);
An application form
Preparing scientific articles for publication the high rating journals. Recommendations and Comments
The guidelines for authors to prepare and submit scientific papers for publication
An inquiry form for the author of the article accepted for publication
Examples of references